[Ads-l] "ammosexual"

Wed Dec 9 04:03:34 UTC 2015

Good point, JL. The meaning of the "gundamentalist" pun in 1926 is
difficult to determine from the isolated example which has been
located.

The phrases "First Amendment fundamentalist" and "Second Amendment
fundamentalist" emerged in more recent decades. The connotations and
denotations of the recent uses of "gundamentalist" might have been
influenced by the secular phrase (or notion) "Second Amendment
fundamentalist".

I think that the connotation of religious fervor is present for the
pun and both of the phrases.

Below is an example of "First Amendment fundamentalist" in 1967. GB
seems to contain an earlier match. GB also seems to have a match in
the 1980s for "Second Amendment fundamentalist". I have not tried to
verify the GB matches.

Date: August 12, 1967
Newspaper: Tucson Daily Citizen
Newspaper Location: Tucson, Arizona
Article: Arizonan Writes About Hugo Black
Author: Charles Turbyville (Citizen Staff Writer)
Quote Page 17, Column 2

http://www.newspapers.com/image/17791447/?terms=%22Amendment%2Bfundamentalists%22

[Begin excerpt]
Frank notes that Black has been known chiefly in recent years for his
civil liberties opinions -- as a "First Amendment fundamentalist". At
the time of his appointment, however, these matters were "at the
margin of the important issues," Frank writes.
[End excerpt]