[Ads-l] A Texan on Facebook:

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 10 05:20:09 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 8:42 PM, Benjamin Barrett <mail.barretts at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is this any different from =E2=80=9Cthe clothes need washed=E2=80=9D? BB

It's different to the extent that it seems to be evidence that this
construction is spreading beyond its original stomping - or should that be
"stamping"? - grounds. The first time that I heard it, back in '72, I was
given "the car needs washed" as an example of the dialect of Erie, PA, by a
native-speaker thereof. In Facebook, in addition to this example from
Texas, I've also found an example from Washington ST. Unless it was from
Oregon. who remembers? Given that I've seen only these two since 2008 or
so, they could be mere slips of the finger.

Youneverknow.
--
-Wilson
-----