[Ads-l] Motto: Nits will be lice. (Request EEBO verification in 1683)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 16 18:41:04 UTC 2015

The whole paragraph, from  John Nalson, LL: D., _An impartial collection of
the great affairs of state. From the beginning of the Scotch rebellion in
the year MDCXXXIX...._  Vol. II. Published by His Majesty's special command.

P. [vii]:

There is not any one particular which hath been Exaggerated with more
vehemence then the Cruelty of the Rebels, by Sir *John Temple,* Dr.
*Borlase,* and others; and doubtless their Cruelty was strange and
barbarous; but then on the other side there is not the least mention of any
Cruelty exercised upon the *Irish,* or of the hard measure they received
from some of the Board in *Ireland,* who were of the Parliamentarian
Faction, and *Scottish *Religion, which rendred them desperate, and made
the Rebellion Universal; they take no notice of the Severities of the
Provost Martials, nor of the Barbarism of the Soldiers to the *Irish,* which
was such, that I have heard a Relation of my own, who was a Captain in that
Service, Relate, that no manner of Compassion or Discrimination was shewed
either to Age or Sex, but that the little Children were promiscuously
Sufferers with the Guilty, and that if any who had some grains of
Compassion reprehended the Soldiers for this unchristian Inhumanity, they
would scoffingly reply, *Why? Nits will be Lice,* and so would dispatch
them: And certainly as to acknowledge an undeniable Truth, does in no
manner Excuse the barbarous Cruelty of the Rebels; so to deny or smother
Matters of Fact, so easily to be proved, even by many Protestants still
alive, has given the Papists the advantage to bring into Question,
especially in Foreign Courts and Countries, the truth of all those inhumane
Cruelties which are charged upon them by such Writers as are found Guilty
of such manifest Partiality.