[Ads-l] Quote: May you live in interesting times (Chinese curse?)

Sat Dec 19 23:16:16 UTC 2015

Thanks for your response, Benjamin. I have seen the Wikipedia entry,
and the QI entry included a discussion of the thematically related
Chinese expression that you mentioned:

Better be a dog in peace than a man in anarchy.

The QI entry gives an 1836 citation for the English language version
of the adage above, in part, because I think the curse "may you live
in interesting times" is a distinct expression, and the curse
formulation apparently originated in English.

Perhaps you can help to find an earlier solid citation for the Chinese
expression (and its translation). I would be very appreciative.

Wikipedia states:

[Begin excerpt]
The expression originates from Volume 3 of the 1627 short story
collection by Feng Menglong, Stories to Awaken the World. [3]
[End excerpt]

But Wikipedia does not give the name of the short story. Wikipedia
points to a document in Wikisource, but I was unable to determine the
exact provenance of the document. In what library is the document
held? Can you determine that? Who created the translation into
English? What is the citation for the English translation?

Wikipedia and Wikiquote are both valuable resources, but, as you know,
they contain plenty of errors.

I try to check or re-check all citations; hence, my bibliographic
notes on the QI website contain shorthand phrases describing the
verification method, e.g., Verified on paper, GenealogyBank, JSTOR,
Google Books Full View, British Newspaper Archive, ProQuest,
HathiTrust Full View, Unz, NewspaperArchive, et cetera.

Garson