[Ads-l] "schlong", the verb -- not in OED

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Wed Dec 23 14:00:45 UTC 2015

IMHO, W. Brewer is incorrect (or being satiric).  The meaning familiar to me has always been "dick"; the unfamiliar one to me is "beat badly". I picked this up on the streets of New York City, and I am sure it has long been familiar to many New Yorkers, particularly adolescent males.

To reinforce this point, the meaning I grew up with for "schmuck" is, as the OED puts it, "a contemptible or objectionable person, an idiot".  That is, "schlong" was the preferred Yiddish vulgarity for the male member.  My aunt used "schmuck"; she would not have used "schlong".

Joel

      From: W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 8:45 AM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] "schlong", the verb -- not in OED

IMHO, <schlong>, until a few days ago, would have had a very limited formal
& semantic extent in the Anglosphere. Now, because of the Trump-Hilary
schlong-gate affair, the generally unfamiliar, etymological meaning
(membrum virile) is cherry-picked, weaponized, and promulgated to bully the
politically incorrect minority.