[Ads-l] Moore's Law

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 7 16:30:32 UTC 2015

A friend asked me about the earliest use of the term "Moore's Law".

The OED has a 1977 cite from Science magazine:
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/195/4283/1102

Noyce formed Intel with Moore.

Moore himself attributed the term to his friend Carver Mead, professor at
Cal Tech, but it is unclear when this happened.

Moore first expressed his law publicly in 1965, in Electronics magazine,
and expanded it in a 1975 presentation to an IEEE conference. Moore,
naturally, doesn't name the concept after himself.

I have found a 1976 declassified DARPA paper cowritten by Mead that refers
several times to Moore and his work, but doesn't use the term.

In the ADS archives, I found a question by Barry Popik from 2005 asking the
same thing, but apparently no one respon

Has anyone antedated the 1977 cite?

Thanks
DanG