[Ads-l] Loss of the English dative "home"? / "Exit out of"

guy1656@centurylink.net guy1656 at CENTURYLINK.NET
Mon Feb 9 13:40:49 UTC 2015

Isn't "whom" and it's derived words all we have left of the dative in
English?

Related question: Do 'hence, hither, whence, and whither' still mark
accusative (if they ever did?)

-----

My personal reaction upon hearing 'to home' is like upon hearing 'to
where,' - something sounds a little odd or regional about it -  but I
also consider it part of a trend that current-era English users are
losing the sense of power that certain words can have when left
unsupported by prepositions. Do we really need to exit OUT OF a
building? No, the word 'exit' alone is sufficient.
If I can close a window (in a room) may I simply 'close' a window in a
computer program rather than 'close out of' it?

Does 'exit the program' sound too stark?

- GLL