[Ads-l] Chimps have dialects too

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Feb 9 22:02:59 UTC 2015

The ChDS (Chimp Dialect Society) is perhaps antedated by the CrDS
(Crow Dialect Society).  Many years ago Scientific American published
an article stating that American crows brought to Europe were not
understood there. (By the European crows, I mean, not by the
researchers!)  Or vice versa, I don't remember.  I don't think the
article addressed the question of whether the transported crows
adapted to the native language (or vice versa), as the chimps did.

 From its date, the following may be the article I'm faintly
remembering:  Frings, H., and M. Frings. 1959. The language of crows.
Sci. Amer. 201: 119-131.

Joel