[Ads-l] fitspo; fitbie

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 10 20:25:44 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 3:12 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> Yahoo! News:
>
> "Fitspiration is any message whose supposed intent is to encourage or
> inspire people to attain their fitness goals
> <http://health.usnews.com/health-news/health-wellness/articles/2015/02/02/how-to-achieve-your-unthinkable-fitness-and-other-goals>.
> Often these messages are tacked onto an image of a hyper-fit person engaged
> in some impressive physical feat. And these fitspiration [sic] (or *fitspo*
> or *fitbies* as they are also dubbed) are everywhere."

Arnold wrote about "fitspo" (and the word it's modeled on, "thinspo")
back in 2012:

http://arnoldzwicky.org/2012/05/21/portmanteau-then-clip-then-analogize/

When we had our Most Productive category for ADS WOTY 2013, "-spo" was
one of the choices.

http://www.americandialect.org/because-is-the-2013-word-of-the-year

"Fitbie" is new to me. On the model of "newbie"?

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer
http://benzimmer.com/