[Ads-l] Restricted access to "Stars and Stripes" and "The buck stops here"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 12 00:48:43 UTC 2015


Sure it isn't an old ice hockey expression?

JL

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 7:47 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> ---------------------- Information from the mail header
> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Restricted access to "Stars and Stripes" and "The buck
> stops
>               here"
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> And the Marilyn Monroe movie (or the William Inge play it was based =
> on)would not have been as successful if it had been called "The Bus =
> Stops Here".
>
> LH
>
> On Feb 11, 2015, at 6:34 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>
> > That's also what they said/ say in NYC.
> >=20
> > JL
> >=20
> > On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 6:32 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> >=20
> >> ---------------------- Information from the mail header
> >> -----------------------
> >> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >> Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> >> Subject:      Re: Restricted access to "Stars and Stripes" and "The =
> buck
> >> stops
> >>              here"
> >>=20
> >> =
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------=
> -----
> >>=20
> >> On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 2:46 PM, Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at gmail.com>
> >> wrote:
> >>=20
> >>> "The bus stops here"
> >>=20
> >>=20
> >> Are there any such signs?
> >>=20
> >> In St. Louis, they read, "Bus Stop | No Parking Here [in order] To =
> Corner."
> >>=20
> >>=20
> >> --
> >> -Wilson
> >> -----
> >> All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange complaint =
> to
> >> come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
> >> -Mark Twain
> >>=20
> >> ------------------------------------------------------------
> >> The American Dialect Society - =
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=3Dhttp-3A__www.americandialect.=
> org&d=3DAwIBaQ&c=3D-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=3DwFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0ZpW1TsS=
> xPIWYiZRsMFFaLQ&m=3DHgtdr9vK4GkK4fB2RYZmsaCNqdm-8CfZXt5OMwh3u5I&s=3DP5T7ts=
> HWbjuSTARVc2iGDb9ayAy2PmCGAxBebJg7898&e=3D=20
> >>=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > --=20
> > "If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the =
> truth."
> >=20
> > ------------------------------------------------------------
> > The American Dialect Society - =
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=3Dhttp-3A__www.americandialect.=
> org&d=3DAwIBaQ&c=3D-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=3DwFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0ZpW1TsS=
> xPIWYiZRsMFFaLQ&m=3DHgtdr9vK4GkK4fB2RYZmsaCNqdm-8CfZXt5OMwh3u5I&s=3DP5T7ts=
> HWbjuSTARVc2iGDb9ayAy2PmCGAxBebJg7898&e=3D=20
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
>



-- 
"If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the truth."

------------------------------------------------------------
The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org


More information about the Ads-l mailing list