[Ads-l] heard (?) but not seen

David Barnhart dbarnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM
Sat Feb 14 00:14:21 UTC 2015

Thanks, Jon.  That's basically my take on it.  eOED has a quote under
o'clock (I think) from the 1790's for "position".  The rifle range and
artillery usage seem to perhaps warrant a subdef.  Or, not.

Regards,
David

barnhart at highlands.com

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2015 6:18 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: heard (?) but not seen

---------------------- Information from the mail header
-----------------------
Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
---

New to me, though in *theory* it could have existed since WW1, when clock
positions were used to identify shot patterns on U.S. rifle ranges.

But "six" only begins to appear in the 1960s - and figuratively not till
1980.

During WW2 it was customary to use the entire phrase (as in "Twelve O'Clock
High"), and even then - so far as I know - only in aerial combat and usu.
as a warning interjection.

At least according to the HDAS vault.

JL