[Ads-l] "fat-tire bike"

David Barnhart dbarnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM
Wed Feb 18 15:30:22 UTC 2015

Now they have _fat bikes_, here's an unfinished entry from DC:

fat bike, {W} a bicycle with extra-wide tires for traveling in snow.
Standard (used in informal contexts dealing especially with sports and
recreation; frequency?)

The wider tires on fat bikes roll over the snow better than regular mountain
bikes. The first fat bikes were made by welding the rims of three mountain
bike wheels together. Emily Schwing, picture caption for "Welcome To Alaska,
Where Winter Is Cold And Bikes Are Fat," Around the Nation on NPR [National
Public Radio], Jan. 19, 2013,
<http://www.npr.org/2013/01/20/169814506/welcome-to-alaska-where-winter-is-c
old-and-bikes-are-fat>

Composite (compound): formed from fat (), as in ... (), + bike (), as in ...
().

fat biking, (infrequent): Today, fat biking isn't quite so do-it-yourself.
The market for a bike like this is still small, but it's the fastest-growing
segment of the cycling industry. At Goldstream Sports, just north of the
University of Alaska Fairbanks, owner Joel Buth specializes in cross-country
skis and road bikes. But four years ago, he added fat bikes to his winter
inventory. Emily Schwing, picture caption for "Welcome To Alaska, Where
Winter Is Cold And Bikes Are Fat," Around the Nation on NPR [National Public
Radio], Jan. 19, 2013,
<http://www.npr.org/2013/01/20/169814506/welcome-to-alaska-where-winter-is-c
old-and-bikes-are-fat>

"When I'm riding in dunes, I always mount a 'dune flag' on the rear of the
bike. ORVs operating in designated dune riding areas are required to run
them-a bright orange or red flag at least eight feet above the ground. I
highly suggest that fat bikers riding in snow where they might encounter
snowmobile traffic using them, too." Scott Sandsberry, "Big fat deal: Wide
tires are all the rage for mountain bikers," Lewiston Morning Tribune
[Idaho] (Nexis), Oct. 27, 2011, p not given

DKB
barnhart at highlands.com