[Ads-l] DUFF

Marisa Brook marisa.brook at MAIL.UTORONTO.CA
Sat Feb 21 18:08:43 UTC 2015

>From someone who's has one foot (or at least a couple of toes) in the YA-writers' world...it's worth pointing out that Kody Keplinger was very young when she started her writing career. As I recall, she landed an agent and publisher at the age of 17. One of the review-magazines, commenting on "The DUFF," made a note of her "snarky teen-speak" alongside lauding her for her realistic characters. I wouldn't be surprised if Keplinger's novels have been capturing a lot of interesting slang that's actually found among teenagers!

Marisa Brook
Ph.D. candidate, Department of Linguistics, University of Toronto
http://individual.utoronto.ca/mbrook/

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 20 Feb 2015 11:02:39 -0500
From:    Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM>
Subject: DUFF

There's a new teen comedy out called "The Duff." In the movie it's
explained that "DUFF" is an acronym for "Designated Ugly Fat Friend."
The movie is based on a 2010 YA novel of the same name by Kody
Keplinger. Urban Dictionary has had an entry for "DUFF" since 2003:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=duff&defid=25336

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer
http://benzimmer.com/

In science fiction fandom of the 60s and 70s, "DUFF" was the 'Down Under Fan Fund,' a kind of slush fund or kitty that SF clubs or convention organizers could pull from to subsidize the admission cost of a financially inchoate friend of the community.

It was also used as a verb.

- GLL