[Ads-l] "off the cuff" antedated to 1934 (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Mon Feb 23 18:38:35 UTC 2015

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

_Variety_ 29 Apr 1925 p 21 col 4
[review of theatrical show]
"Didn't have a chance and producer and theater were smart enough to go after the two for ones.  Kept house from going dark and will just about get off the cuff."

_Photoplay_ Apr 1926 pp 50-51
"Mickey Neilan was some seven hours late on his set one day.  And the company waited and shivered -- and then shivered and waited some more.
"Must have lost his script," hazarded a member of the cast.
"Sure," says the prop boy.  "Must have lost his script and is now hunting through all the shirts in the Hollywood laundry to find it."
(You see, Mickey Neilan is famous for being one of the few surviving directors who "shoot from the cuff" -- which means the only script he ever has is what's in his head, aided by an occasional note on his cuff.)"

_Hollywood Vagabond_ 28 Apr 1927 p 5 col 3
"We don't get out here in the lights and then try to find out what's going to happen.  We read the script, know the story and throw the script away.  Then we come out on the set and shoot it off the cuff."

_The Film Daily_ 11 May 1930 p 5 col 2

"Credit Roy Mack of the Vitaphone studio with the one about the director who was shooting off the cuff and moaned that he had washed his shirt and lost the script."