[Ads-l] _Narrative_

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 25 14:32:34 UTC 2015

I  tried to attach this to the main "narrative" thread, but the server
thinks we've discussed the issue at sufficient length already. Too bad for
the server.

Yesterday,  without the slightest prompting from me, a learned friend with
advanced degrees commented on his hatred for what he independently
perceived as the current usage of "the narrative."

Playing dumb for research purposes, I asked "What's 'the narrative'?"

"It's just something politicians like to say. In Watergate they used to
talk about 'the operative statement.' Now it's 'the narrative.'"

"So," I replied archly, "'the narrative' is 'the operative statement.' Or
is it the other way around?"

"'The narrative' means 'the story we're selling you now.'  It doesn't have
to be true, and no one has to believe it. It's just 'the story we're
selling you now.'"

I'd revise that to "the story 'they' are selling you now."

JL