[Ads-l] Antedating of "Sharpshooter"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sat Jan 3 20:13:29 UTC 2015

sharpshooter (OED 1802)

1794 _Philadelphia Gazette_ 22 Oct. 3 (America's Historical Newspapers)  This Corps will excite a great jealousy in the British Hulans, York Volunteers, Sharp Shooters, and such like Corps, now bravely fighting for their _Liberties!_ and _Properties!_ in Holland and Flanders.

1801 _New-York Gazette_ 10 Aug. 2 (America's Historical Newspapers)  A letter from Egypt, after describing the affair of the 21st March, concludes as follows: -- "The law of nations must be improved by an abolition of the sharp shooters, or our officers must be disguised as private men, otherwise our best officers will be picked off, for this is the professional intention and practice of the French sharp shooters.

Fred Shapiro