[Ads-l] get

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 4 13:28:56 UTC 2015

Meaning 'be told, as a compliment, criticism, or similar response.'

TV commercial:  Blonde has heartburn. Rugged magic firefighter appears on a
ladder and offers Tums. She's cured!  She says, "That's amazing!"

He tips back his helmet and says with a meaningful look, "Yeah. I get that
a lot."

"Get that a lot" is probably the most common collocation. I'll guess I've
known it for twenty-five years, but it may well be longer than that.

OED currently unavailable to me. Seems like the kind of nuance it might
have missed.

JL