[Ads-l] terminology - Black American vs. African American

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Jan 7 01:31:26 UTC 2015

At 1/6/2015 05:33 AM, Margaret Lee wrote:

>Thanks, Joel, for the list of historical
>references.  I was aware that 'African
>American' was in use (but not extensively) in
>the 1800's. I was simply referring to when the
>term was seriously considered (by Blacks) as a
>replacement  for 'Black' and became what you refer to as a 'movement.'Â
>--Margaret Lee

I realized that.  It was why, because my searches
only separated pre-1800 from post- (my specific
interest was what terms were used during the 18th
century), that I added the references.  Perhaps
they say something about any promotion of
"African American" between 1800 and the 1988 movement.

Joel