[Ads-l] Fortean (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Fri Jan 9 21:21:31 UTC 2015

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

OED has 1946 for "Fortean" (n); OED SF Project does not list.

15 Feb 1920 NY, NY _Books and the Book World_
[Joint book section of NY _The Sun_ and _New York Herald_] p. 8 col 3
"Henceforth I am a Fortean.  I believe."
[advertisement quoting Ben Hecht in _The Chicago Daily News_)

OED has 1932 for "Fortean" (adj); OED SF Project does not list.

27 Jan 1931 _New York Evening Post_ p 3 col 2
"The event, which took place in the Savoy-Plaza apartment of J. David Stern, was the birth of the Fortean Society, whose purpose is to promulgate and celebrate, not to say propagandize, the work of Mr. Fort."

6 Feb 1931 Harrisburg PA _Harrisburg Telegraph_ p 8 col 4
"It was at a small dinner in a luxurious suite at the Savoy-Plaza and the momentous occasion was the organization of the Fortean society."