[Ads-l] Zby

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 12 12:36:55 UTC 2015

When I was a lad, dinos had normal and euphonious names like Styracosaurus
and Parasaurolophus.

Not any more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zby

Isn't this the first example of the initial Polish "Zb" as New Latin, and,
hence, English? ("Zbigniew" doesn't count: it's still Polish.)

Unusually, Wiki doesn't recommend any pronunciation. Maybe it's not meant
to be pronounced, rather like the asterisk in the short-lived Shatner
series, " * My Father Says."

JL