[Ads-l] Zby

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 14 12:56:51 UTC 2015

Let us turn to Discovery Magazine's useful and garish _Ultimate Book of
Dinosaurs_ (N.Y.: Time Home Entertainment, 2014), written by Lori Stein,
whose name appears only in teeny letters inside under a long roster of
corporate execs.

(She was also the "image manager." That must be something like a spin
doctor for dinos whose "brand" needs a little polishing.)

Special advisor to the publication was the young and photogenic Dr. Joseph
Sertich, Curator of Vertebrate Paleontology at the Denver Museum of Nature
& Science, so this is no lightweight publication. Or not as lightweight as
you might have expected.

The names of the known dinosaur genera are listed, along with their
all-important pronunciations.

We learn on page 50 that the basal sauropod Zby is called "zee-bee" by its
friends. Unfortunately the stressed syllable is not indicated, though I
presume it is the final. Except in the U.S. South.

Also of linguistic interest (p.24) are "Irritator," the most annoying giant
slavering carnivorous quasi-reptile, and "Fukuisaurus," the surliest.

JL