[Ads-l] "#blacklivesmatter"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 19 15:46:33 UTC 2015

> Yes, it means that...

The equivocation on "means" feels very much like disingenuous special
pleading.

And the writer appears to elide the fact that the hashtag received a
separate, certainly deserved, award *as a hashtag*.

None of this matters, of course, except that because it so obviously flouts
any linguistic sense of "word" in English or any other natural language,
and that because "#blacklivesmatter" was honored - as was appropriate - in
a special category, I find the WOTY choice to be both patronizing and
self-congratulatory.

But nobody's perfect.

(PS:  The other day I heard "hashtag" used to mean "very": "This is hashtag
ridiculous.")

JL