[Ads-l] scalper was RE: Sleaze Letigimized - Euphemism Rampage (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Thu Jan 22 17:10:12 UTC 2015

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

OED has 1875 for scalper sense n 2 a (one who buys and sells railroad tickets without authorization from the railroad).

1 Nov 1873 _Chicago Daily Tribune_ p 3
"A General Onslaught On the Ticket-Scalpers" [subheadline]

Interdate (1869 - 1948) sense n 2 c (one who buys and sells tickets to entertainments without authorization)

18 May 1893 _San Francisco Chronicle_ p 12

"It is claimed that there has been great irregularity in licensing theater-ticket scalpers and that some startling facts may be developed in this direction, if the Grand Jury will make the effort."

The analogous sense of the verb scalp as applied to tickets is included in the broad sense OED v2 4 "To buy at very low rates so as to be able to sell at less than official rates."  Earliest cite for railway tickets is 1891; for athletic tickets is 1948.

27 May 1874 NY _Daily Graphic_ p 662
"It must not be imagined from this that the business of "scalping" tickets is dead." [railroad tickets]

14 Nov 1905 Minneapolis Journal p 8
"Chicago students are planning to get after "financiers" who scalp tickets on the Thanksgiving game." [football tickets]

6 Nov 1910 San Francisco Chronicle p 42
"Eugene Lewald Proves He Did Not Scalp Tickets" [headline] [theater tickets]