[Ads-l] "click bait" in the fashion world?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jan 23 00:47:09 UTC 2015

"Click bait" is defined as "(on the Internet) [and I assume in other
media, such as print] content, especially that of a sensational or
provocative nature, whose main purpose is to attract attention and
draw visitors to a particular web page [or article, topic,
etc.]"  See also Urban Dictionary and Wikipedia.

But in this teaser on the front page of today's New York Times, it
seems to be used in a different sense:  "Wearable Looks / The trend
is toward function over click bait in Milan, where fall-winter
menswear from labels like Jil Sander is on parade. / PAGE E1"  (I
don't find "click bait" in the article.)

I see "click bait" here as meaning fashion designs aimed at
attracting the multiple, rapid clicks of the photographers' cameras
at fashion shows (and not aimed at practicality).

Joel