[Ads-l] knock for a loop (1916), throw for a loop (1925)

Hugo hugovk at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 24 22:20:08 UTC 2015

I was just about to post about the "loop-the-loop" punch as well. A
loop-the-loop is an uppercut, presumably one where the fist made a full
reverse loop. A well-landed uppercut to the chin can result in a knockout,
sending the other "loopy". Just a thought.

Anyway, I found some earlier "loop-the-loop" punches.

---

1905:

[Begin]
At in-fighting he clearly bested Lewis, and with two "loop-the-loop"
punches he almost evened up the advantage that the Philadelphia boy secured
in the first two rounds.
[End]

Evening star. (Washington, D.C.), 22 Aug. 1905. Chronicling America:
Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83045462/1905-08-22/ed-1/seq-9/#words=loop-the-loop

---

1906, an Australian newspaper reporting on US boxing:

[Begin]
He doesn't try to clinch, but just tears away with little uppercuts that
are called loop-the-loop punches here, and he knows how to shoot them up to
his opponent's chin.
[End]

Referee (Sydney, NSW : 1886 - 1939) Wednesday 28 November 1906
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/120328159?searchTerm=%22loop%20punch%22&searchLimits=sortby=dateAsc

---

1910:

[Begin]
For a moment it looked as though the fight was at an end, especially when
Sarcone landed a wicked loop the loop which knocked Gans' head back on his
shoulders.
[End]

The Pacific commercial advertiser. (Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands), 28 Dec.
1910. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85047084/1910-12-28/ed-1/seq-3/#words=loop

---

Hugo