[Ads-l] I want to coin "blizzicane"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 27 17:57:26 UTC 2015

On Jan 27, 2015, at 12:06 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> "Blizzicane" -- "A storm that qualifies both as a blizzard and as a hurricane."
>
> The Northeast blizzicane of 2015 will probably qualify.
>
> As a blizzard according to the three criteria of the U.S. National Weather Service -- "a snow storm [that] must have sustained winds or frequent gusts that are greater than or equal to 56 km/h (35 mph) with blowing or drifting snow which reduces visibility to 400 m or 0.25 mi or less and must last for a prolonged period of time—typically three hours or more" [Wikipedia, "Blizzard"].
>
> As a hurricane according to the Beaufort scale, level 12+ -- a North Atlantic "Category 1 hurricane", with winds above 70 mph at several places on Cape Cod and probably also Nantucket.

Much ado about mostly nothing in Central and Western CT and NY--a regular snowstorm, without even major winds.  Not that I'm complaining; virtually no loss of power around these parts.  As for the brunt of the storm, Nantucket.  I must have deflected with my sacrifices to Juno yesterday.

I still like "bombogenesis", but don't know if it will have staying power.
http://www.weather.com/science/news/what-bombogenesis-weather-bomb-20140321

LH