[Ads-l] buck, n.9 (token in poker) -- quotations and definition in OED2

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 29 21:30:27 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 3:27 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole wrote:

> Ben Zimmer found a great instance of "pass the buck" in 1856. A writer
> was part of a group that was crossing a body of water called the Buck
> Creek, and he mentioned the phrase as a pun while referencing the
> alternative interpretation in the poker domain.
>
> http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2005-April/048838.html
>
> Ben or anyone: Do you know if 1856 is still the earliest citation?

I haven't seen anything earlier. LOC's Chronicling America project has
been scanning some antebellum newspapers from the Kansas Territory,
but I haven't had any luck with those.

http://www.kshs.org/p/kansas-territorial-newspapers/13875

(Note that issues of the Kansas Weekly Herald have been scanned from
1854 to 1855, but not yet the 1856 issue where the earliest cite
appears.)