[Ads-l] Yale Grammatical Diversity Project - Slate

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Wed Jul 1 16:46:47 UTC 2015

The concept is actually pretty old:

There's a verse in the Old Norse gnomic (wisdom/advice) poem Hávamál
that it is the foolish man who lies awake worrying all night, because
when he gets up, nothing's been done about it:

23. Ósviðr maðr

vakir um allar nætr

ok hyggr at hvítvetna;

þá er móðr

er at morni kømr;

allt er víl, sem var.

(David A. H. Evans, ed. /Hávamál. /London: Viking Society for Northern
Research, 1986.) (available online)

23. The foolish man lies awake all night

and worries about things;

he's tired out when the morning comes

and everything's just as bad as it was.

(Carolyne Larrington, trans. /The Poetic Edda./Oxford: Oxford U P, 1999.
14-19; 266.)

--Amy West

Larrington, Carolyne, trans. /The Poetic Edda./Oxford: Oxford U P, 1999.
14-19; 266.