[Ads-l] shenanegin antedated (?) to 1854

Sun Jul 5 19:56:33 UTC 2015

Here is another example of "shenanigan" from 1855. This is later than
Stephen's cite and the first OED cite, but it might still be useful.

Date: September 1855
Journal: Yankee-Notions
Volume 4, number 9
Article: The Magician and the Miner
Quote Page 280
Publisher: T. W. Strong, New York

[Begin excerpt]
An individual who had attended several evenings and witnessed the
"experiment," suspected, in the classic language of the times, that
there was something of "shenanigan" in it. He thought the probability
was, that the individual in the pit who fired the pistol was
invariably an accomplice, dressed for the nonce in miner's clothes;
and as a true, independent, self-reliant Californian, he thought he
would assume the responsibility of testing and adjusting matters for
his own satisfaction, as well as for the good of the community
generally.
[End excerpt]