[Ads-l] shenanegin antedated (?) to 1854

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jul 6 13:48:01 UTC 2015

Does the 1859 quotation suggest that there was a verb "to shenan[V]g" (where V = a, e, or i)?

I suppose not, or Jon would surely have found it.

Joel

      From: Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Monday, July 6, 2015 7:41 AM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] shenanegin antedated (?) to 1854

Ignore that.

1856, in _Calif. Historical Society Qly._  ix (1930) 62: Tryed to play
chinanigan but couldn't make it rip.

1859, in L. R. Hafen & A. W. Hafen _Reports from Colo._ [Glendale, Calif.:
A. H. Clarke. 1961] 195: They are...adepts at wire-working, or
"shenanaging," as they...call it out here.

1862, in S. L. Clemens _Letters of Mark Twain_ [ N.Y.: Harper, 1917] I 202:
Consider them all guily...(of "shenanigan") until they are proved innocent.

1870 _Putnam's Mo._ (Mar.)  298: I'd back her against the field, even
weights and no sheenanigan for money.

All spelling sic.

JL