[Ads-l] "come the guy gugles over" (after: to come the "shenanegin" over him)

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Fri Jul 10 13:40:11 UTC 2015

After finding an 1854 antedating "to come the 'shenanegin' over him," I found [on GB] an 1888 "you cannot come no such a 'shenanigan' over me" and a reprint of a western novel by Edward Ellis (1840-1916?) "they warn't going to come any shenanigan over me."

Then I looked a bit into the pattern "come [the] ____ over" and found several uses online and in HDAS, DARE, Farmers, Chambers, etc., including "come the old soldier/sergeant/Stoic/possum/giraffe/gum game/Cerro Gordo/Paddy/master/etc. over)

Among the more puzzling were two quotations of a phrase new to me. I have some guesses, but I'll post it as a question. What do you think it means? (And do you know other such texts?)

1) Ef he onst gits his paw on ye, yer a gone tad-pole, and the only way to come the guy-gugles over him, is to be prepared aforehand and soap yer tail!

Daily Advocate March 31, 1854 p.1 Baton Rouge LA [AHN]

2) You can't come the guy gugles over me, so you needn't try it on. I am a free American citizen, and I'll bust the head of that grinning chap from Iowa, if he don't shut up his fly-trap.

Published in several 1966-7 newspapers , e.g. Idaho Statesman 01-12-1867,  and quoted in Tammany Hall by M. R. Lerner (1968) p. 91 [GB, checked on paper]

Stephen Goranson

http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/