[Ads-l] Listening to: A Way with Words

Thu Jul 16 18:56:38 UTC 2015

Thanks, Garson!

As some list members know, I joined the ADS-L family in 1992 or so,
and it's where I was quickly disabused of many of the typical naive
notions of the amateur linguist. Through this list, through ADS
publications and conferences, and through the books, papers,
presentations, and private help of ADS members and their non-ADS
colleagues (including Walt Wolfram and his extensive family of
ex-students who now have their own students -- are we on the third
generation of Walt's academic descendants?), I have received an
amazing education with a focus on sociolinguistics, and with
sub-emphasis on phonology, dialect, lexicography, etymology, and a few
other things, including a) giving a damn about these things and b)
being nice about it. Of course, there's still plenty to learn, and the
radio show isn't always perfect, but another couple of decades and
I'll get there. ;) I give back my little bit by being an ADS officer,
by handling the few chores of the ADS website, and mentioning the
publications and work of ADS members on the air whenever appropriate.

But all that is to say: Martha and I both subscribe to this list and
find it an excellent part of keeping up with the field.

Best wishes,

Grant