[Ads-l] Heard: "aces"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 18 20:34:52 UTC 2015

Approx.: "The first version of the show was _aces_."

This was already antiquated when I was a child. HDAS finds it in print back
in 1901, suggesting that it was in use in speech possibly as far back as
1890 or even earlier. Since this sentence occurs in a TV ad, it would be
ironic, if this oldie were consequently recalled to life by young'uns of
today thinking it to be, well, "aces."

Youneverknow.
--
-Wilson