[Ads-l] an early "high fluting" (1838)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat Jul 18 21:38:16 UTC 2015

--

My own notion is that the "f[a]lutin[g]" was maybe originally something
like "fluding" (= "flooding") (or perhaps "fluden", hypothetical

"High-falutin[g]" has [near-]synonyms such as "high-flown",
"high-flowing", "turgid".

Note that "flown" is not only a participle of "fly" but also a
[nonstandard, I guess] participle of "flow" (one can search G-books for
-- e.g. -- <<river has flown>>).

-- Doug Wilson