[Ads-l] an early "high fluting" (1838)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jul 18 23:14:58 UTC 2015

> On Jul 18, 2015, at 6:00 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 4:48 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> 1836   U.S. Songster 216,   I play upon de cymbal an I makes de handsome =
>> sound, I's a high feluting nigger dat dey calls Jim Brown.
>>

> I don't know. It already seems to have the current meaning to me, in this
> example.

Except that nobody now ever uses it in reference to themselves, except to deny they're high-falutin or like high-falutin things.  It's like what Haj Ross used to claim a few decades back about "lurk"--one never describes oneself, only others, as lurking in a culvert, a claim that may or may not have reflected actual usage but seemed plausible at the time.  Now of course anyone can describe themself as "just a lurker" on an online group, or acknowledge, sort of like non-serious shoppers in an expensive store, "I'm just lurking".  But I think I'm right about "high-falutin", modulo ironic usage (which Jim Brown may indeed have been employing above).

LH