[Ads-l] "split of a three-game series"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jul 21 16:25:34 UTC 2015

And even if the Reading-ites parsed the headline sufficiently to get the verb, they might have misdeciphered the remainder.  For example, here's an alternative plausible scenario for those more familiar with American settlement patterns and Balkan history than the particulars of American League baseball.

According to their oral history of their nation or tribe, the Lumbee of North Carolina () trace their ancestry to a blending (or ethnic portmanteau) of the "Lost Colony" of Roanoke Island and the Croatan group of Algonquins (cf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatan). But it's natural to confuse the Croatans with the Croatians, so during the civil war that erupted in the early 90s in the former Yugoslavia, it was natural for the Lumbee to identify with the Croatians and fear for their fate when the Serbs were shelling the major cities (Zagreb, Dubrovnik).  The great oral poet, the Homer of the Lumbee tribe, was rushed to the Dalmatian coast to save the day, and fearing Dubrovnik was a lost cause, he and his coterie headed further south to the next most important coastal city, set up in the Roman amphitheater, and set to loudly declaiming his epic poem over and over at the top of his lungs until the Serbs gave up and the Croats maintained their hold on the city, as commemorated in the headline--"Tribe Homer barrage salvages Split".

LH