[Ads-l] Manually--now also by foot?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 24 14:45:00 UTC 2015

Just adding an observation by a colleague who's a native speaker of Italian, who points out that even there, where "manualmente" is much more transparently related to hands than it is in English, the meaning tends to be 'non-automatically' rather than 'involving the use of hands', and applies to cases where no hand action is involved (like Garson's starting motor below).

LH

> On Jul 22, 2015, at 9:07 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 22, 2015, at 4:10 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>>
>> Here is a fun instance circa 1942 in which the "automatic" operation
>> requires use of a hand, and the "manual" operation requires use of a
>> foot.
>>
>> Year: 1942 (according to GB)
>> Journal: Diesel Power
>> Volume 20
>> Quote Page 188 (according to GB)
>> Database: Google Books snippet; text not visible in snippet; data may
>> be incorrect and should be verified on paper
>>
>> [Begin excerpt]
>> Auto-Lite Two-Step Diesel Starting Motors are available in both manual
>> (foot-pedal operated) and automatic (push button operated) types.
>> [End excerpt]
>>
>> Garson
>
> Neat-o!  So manual pedals go back farther than I do.  Who knew?
>
> LH
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 11:57 AM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:

>>> org&d=3DAwIBaQ&c=3D-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=3DwFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0ZpW1TsS=
>>> xPIWYiZRsMFFaLQ&m=3DSp8YXFswZmkB0nJegpMOXJOBD6X8B7YaqhrfSKMJSTw&s=3DqekG3Z=