[Ads-l] Rosa Luxemburg Quote

Wed Jun 3 20:26:15 UTC 2015

In addition to the citations with unverified 1982 GB dates that I
posted previously I should mention that Barry has an entry for the
English expression with a 2007 citation.

Entry from October 20, 2013
"Those who do not move do not notice their chains"
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/those_who_do_not_move_do_not_notice_their_chains

Here is a snippet match in Google Books that is tagged with the year 2006.

Year: 2006
Title: Report of Congress
Author: Trades Union Congress
(Google Books snippet; data must be verified)
https://books.google.com/books?id=xRooAQAAIAAJ

[Begin extracted text]
Workers only feel the full force of anti-union law when they
themselves take action, when they find their hands tied behind their
backs, as Rosa Luxembourg observed, "Those who do not move do not
notice their chains." So, despite the ...
[End extracted text]

There is a discussion of the quotation here:

https://librarianshipwreck.wordpress.com/2013/07/06/reference-desk-unanswered-questions/

One reply on the thread asserts the quote appeared on a banner during
a protest in Germany in 1989. (Note that the previous post on this
thread has earlier unverified evidence).

[Begin excerpt]
I asked the Marxist Internet Archive as suggested, and quickly
received the following reply, which seems to find the quote to be
apocryphal:

“The German version of this (alleged) quote is “Wer sich nicht bewegt,
spürt seine Fesseln nicht.” It has been attributed to Rosa Luxemburg
by many people and she did say some things that have a similar meaning
but none of the discussions I’ve read have been able to quote where it
came from. While it may appear in one of her letters (most of them
aren’t online yet), the earliest definite reference to this statement
seems to be a banner on an opposition demonstration in the GDR on 17
January 1989 (i.e. on the 70th anniversary of her murder)!
[End excerpt]

Garson