[Ads-l] foment

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 4 20:37:59 UTC 2015

"Foment" insurrection? "Ferment" until all sugar has become alcohol? What
in the world are these people assuming that "foment" means? Have they never
seen it in its proper context? I can't figure out what they're trying to
say, even if I assume that what they're reaching for is "ferment."

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 7:52 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: foment

> http://thehill.com/regulation/overnights/243946-gop-looks-to-roll-back-gun-regs
> "
>
> "...see it as a way to force the Obama administration to back down on gun
> control, but Democrats say this will allow gun violence to foment."
>
> JL
>
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 8:32 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      Re: foment

> > Yeah, it's ******* real.
> >
> > Highly educated and remunerated CNN anchor: People "are saying [Obama]
> > neglected Iraq for years, allowing it to foment."
> >
> > I imagine the influence of "ferment" is present.
> >
> > JL
> >
> > On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 7:06 PM, Jonathan Lighter <
> wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > -----------------------
> > > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > > Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
> > > Subject:      foment

> > > 'To become restive or combative'?
> > >
> > > Shd. be OED new def. 3c - if it's real:
> > >
> > > 2010 G. Cheshire, intro. to J. Conrad _Heart of Darkness_ (London:
> > Collins)
> > > viii: In essence, modern nations immerse peoples of 'primitive' culture
> > > within populations of 'developed' culture, so that incompatibilities
> and
> > > antitheses cause people to foment.
> > >
> > > JL
> > >
> > > --
> > > "If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the
> > truth."

> > --
> truth."

> --