[Ads-l] "salty" - revival??

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Fri Jun 5 11:46:16 UTC 2015

On 6/5/15 12:00 AM, ADS-L automatic digest system wrote:
> Date:    Fri, 5 Jun 2015 02:05:17 +0200
> From:    Z Rice<zrice3714 at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject: "salty" - revival??
>
> How is "salty" being "revived", when it is current in the everyday speech
> of african-americans?
Right. It's not a revival, it's a shifting/appropriation or a parallel
development. I was intrigued to hear it from my upper-middle-class white
kid's mouth, but he goes to a public high school with a diverse
population, and we live in an integrated neighborhood, and he has
African-American friends. But . . . it's the gamer version he's using,
not the AA/BE, so he remains monodialectal (in that regard). . . .

---Amy West