[Ads-l] 9to5Mac: "salty" in the wild, by coinkidink

Z Rice zrice3714 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 5 20:14:06 UTC 2015

I would not agree that "holla" is a "revival", as I've heard it since I was
a child, my father has heard it since he was a child, and it was spoken my
grandparent (who is now pushing 100 y/o) and my great-grandparents (who are
now deceased). It also occurs regularly in the slavery narratives. So it is
not a "revival". It is a part of the everyday speech of the afro-american
population. I use the term hesitantly because I am speaking specifically of
the Black population that is native to this country (culturally,
historically, etc).

The difference is that it is now considered "stylish" or "trendy" by white
youths. But this culture and speech does not suddenly come into existence -
nor is it "revived" - when "discovered" by whites. That was the implication
in Zimmer's (?) email and we find it all too often in such media.

I'm not even convinced that the first "salty" meaning that he provided is
even related to the afro-american usage of "salty". I have no reason to
believe that.