[Ads-l] Butch Dykeman and Miss Gay (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jun 10 01:34:35 UTC 2015

> On Jun 9, 2015, at 6:16 PM, Baker, John <JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM> wrote:
>
> The claim that Hammett meant "catamite" is based primarily on a 1965 article by Erle Stanley Gardner, the relevant portion of which is quoted at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.miskatonic.org_gooseberry.html&d=AwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=wFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0ZpW1TsSxPIWYiZRsMFFaLQ&m=gb1zLMq9-SCmmcOj7-h5UUM1LSvvfbIM_cbU9YNuopM&s=Zx_IwklcnLMYhV0ajHZVcA05RRwj0ek503VHlnUOATY&e= .  Actually, Gardner does not say "catamite," but simply says that "gunsel" is "a very naughty word with no relation whatever to a bodyguard, a gunman, or a torpedo."  The other meanings, however, do not seem to be all that naughty.
>
> Admittedly, this was more than 35 years after Hammett wrote.  Also, although Gardner gives the impression of having inside information, I don't know how reliable he actually is.

I can imagine Gardner turning to Hammett and thundering in his best Perry Mason inflections, "What else haven't you told me?"  Or was that just Raymond Burr, to every one of his clients?

Interesting about the claimed origin of "shamus" = '(private) detective'

LH