[Ads-l] fines for saying "you guys" to mixed groups?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 12 22:27:38 UTC 2015

On the one hand, the media imply at every turn that nothing is more
desirable than to be glamorously ultra-sexy - perhaps especially if you're
a woman. Unless I'm misinformed, most Americans (and British, Japanese,
etc.) public agrees wholeheartedly

On the other hand, over-educated, uptight New-Age Prescriptivists insist
that unisex is the only civilized way for the language to go - and in every
detail.  Some may recall the phrase used in "The Story of English":  "Chop
sexism out of the language." (Ouch!) One lapse and you pay.

They insist too that nouns and pronouns have essential and restrictive
gender references that cannot be altered, even by the general usage of both
sexes (oops! I mean "all genders"). Many of them want us to use fantastical
new pronouns of their own devising - up to the alleged 50 different choices
on FaceBook.

But never use a singular "they"! It's ungrammatical!

JL