[Ads-l] Request help tracing Poul Anderson quotation

Sun Jun 14 21:17:21 UTC 2015

A humorous quotation about complexity has been attributed to the
prominent science fiction author Poul Anderson, and I was sent a
request to investigate its provenance. Maybe an SF enthusiast or
someone with access to "New Scientist" issues in 1969 can help.

Some important reference works, e.g., YBQ, listed the following
version:

[Begin excerpt]
I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when you
looked at it in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
[End excerpt]

These references did not list a citation for a story by Anderson;
instead, a "New Scientist" article from 1969 written by William Thorpe
was listed. Also, I think that the phrasing of the quotation in the
references was slightly inaccurate. The quotation given by Thorpe was
probably based on a flawed memory. The contractions in the original
were different and the word "in" was inserted in the later version.

Using data from Google Books, Amazon Look Inside, and The Internet
Speculative Fiction Database I've assembled the following tentative
citation and text. Perhaps someone has access to this 1957 issue of
"Astounding Science Fiction"? The goal is to obtain a complete and
accurate citation, and determine the exact text (especially the second
paragraph).

This tale has been reprinted often, and I have been able to check the
text using recent reprints, but it is desirable to check the earliest
published instances on paper or with scans because text in reprints is
sometimes altered / revised.

If you are unable to check this perhaps you can help with the 1962 or
1969 cites further below.