[Ads-l] RES: fines for saying "you guys" to mixed groups?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 15 10:54:44 UTC 2015

A disturbingly amusing commercial for Progressive has Flo dissing a "guy"
as a "drama queen."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG-T9nQ3jH4

Is this demeaning to women? Or to men? Or, wait, I know, gays? Or
everybody? (If everybody, is that worse?)

(SERIOUSNESS ALERT)

What is the reasoning behind statements that if one calls an individual of
Group X a conventionally opprobrious (or, in the case of "guy,"
non-opprobrious, even affable) epithet that can also be applied to members
of Group Y, all members of Group Y are injured? (Though not, it seems, any
other members of Group X....)

Any empirical studies to show this?  Forty years later, am still waiting
for studies demonstrating that the English pronoun system leads to
discrimination against women, and that that discrimination can be
ameliorated by the invention of ingenious new pronouns.

JL

PS: Is British "bugger" dangerously homophobic? How about "Bugger off"? And
how about American "booger"?  (American ignorance that it's really "bugger"
is no excuse. We're talking about mass Sapir-Whorf victimization here.)