[Ads-l] Bizarro, Bizarro World (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Tue Jun 16 18:27:32 UTC 2015

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

> bizarro n. [partially sugg. by the character Bizzaro, introduced in
> Superman comics in 1957-58] a bizarre person.

>From Wikipedia:
"Bizarro debuted in Superboy #68 (cover-dated Oct. 1958, but on sale in August). . . the teen version of Bizarro only appeared in a single comic book story. An adult version appeared around the same time in the Superman daily newspaper comic strip written by Alvin Schwartz, debuting in Episode 105: "The Battle With Bizarro" (strips 6147-6242: Aug. 25, 1958 to Dec. 13, 1958)."

Mark Evanier discusses the origin here:

http://www.newsfromme.com/2011/11/20/correction-7/

The character of Bizarro first appears in the 9/17/1958 daily strip.  He is first called "Bizarro" (he names himself) and has his first dialogue in the 9/25/1958 strip.  I wasn't able to examine Sunday strips to see if they have anything different, but I believe they ran a different storyline than the dailies.