[Ads-l] Shifting connotations: Is novelette derogatory?

Jeff Prucher 000000b93183dc86-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Wed Jun 17 17:04:50 UTC 2015

This non-derogatory use is ancient (in the realm of SF publishing, anyway). A novelette (or "novelet", as The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction" would have it) is longer than a short story, but shorter than a novella. "Best Novelette" has been a Hugo category since 1955, which gives a minimum bound on this shift in use. It is common for the digest-sized magazines to categorize their table of contents by story length, so there would be one heading for "Novellas", one for "Novelettes" and another for "Short Stories". Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine also did (maybe still does, I haven't seen a copy in years) this; it shares a publisher with the SF mags Analog and Asimov's, so I was never sure whether the mystery community used the term as well, or whether it just bled over from the other digests. (Although I note that, after several years of having a "Best Mid-Length Short Story" category, the Derringer Awards have switched to a "Best Novelette" category:

http://shortmystery.blogspot.com/2008/05/2008-derringer-award-results.html.)

Jeff Prucher