[Ads-l] "Be strung out (behind [NP])" = "be in love (with [NP])"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 21 08:21:36 UTC 2015

The best HDAS can do (i.e., "could have done"):

1962 in Bruce Jackson _In the Life_ (1972, rpt. N.Y.: NAL, 1974) 160: I was
in high school and I got strung out behind some old cottontail, you know.

1965 in Woodie  King, Jr., & Ron Milner, eds. _Black Drama Anthology_
(N.Y.: NAL, 1972) 302: Gloria...was pretending we were just visitors who
were strung out over her.

1967 _Current Slang_ II 46: Bill is strung out behind Jane.

Etc.

Wilson should make a list of this stuff from before the early '60s, when
non-jazz related AAV slang was first noticed in the "mainstream media."

I have very little expectation that a pre-1962 printed antedating will turn
up.

JL