[Ads-l] n-word update

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 23 14:42:39 UTC 2015

The talking heads are still discussing it.

The assertion may be gaining ground that it's OK for Obama to "use" the
word because he's black, but no white person should ever be "permitted" to
utter it - presumably even in reporting on what the President of the United
States actually said.

One white anchor called it "a word most of us haven't used in over a
decade."

Presumably "use" means "mention" here as well.

Meanwhile, certain members of a rival political party are accusing Obama of
borderline hypocrisy for "using" the word even as he supposedly condemns
racism.

Another topic of growing controversy is whether the flags of seven Southern
states should be replaced because of some historical connection or visual
resemblance to one or another Confederate flag. (The Mississippi flag
actually includes the rebel flag in its canton.)

JL