[Ads-l] RES: n-word update

David Daniel dad at COARSECOURSES.COM
Tue Jun 23 16:13:30 UTC 2015

Yes, he can only say it every other day.
DAD

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       David Barnhart <dbarnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM>
Subject:      Re: n-word update
---

True, President Obama is black.  But isn't he also white?

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 23, 2015, at 10:56 AM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
wrote=
-----

--------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-----
>=20
>>> On Jun 23, 2015, at 10:42 AM, Jonathan Lighter =3D
>> <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>> =3D20
>> The talking heads are still discussing it.
>> =3D20
>> The assertion may be gaining ground that it's OK for Obama to "use" =3D
> the
>> word because he's black, but no white person should ever be =3D
> "permitted" to
>> utter it - presumably even in reporting on what the President of the =3D
> United
>> States actually said.
>> =3D20
>> One white anchor called it "a word most of us haven't used in over a
>> decade."
>> =3D20
>> Presumably "use" means "mention" here as well.
>=20
> I noted that on the first page of today's Times, Obama is said to have
=3D=

> "invoked" the word in question.   I think Quine would have accepted that
=3D=

> as a near-synonym for "mentioned" rather than "used". But I concede the
=3D=

> distinction isn't usually made.  I'd have expected the talking heads to
=3D=

> have enlisted the services of Randall Kennedy, author of the mostly =3D
> well-received _Nigger: The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word_ =3D
> (Pantheon, 2002),  hasn't been interviewed--unless he has been.=3D20
>=20
> LH
>> =3D20
>> Meanwhile, certain members of a rival political party are accusing =3D
> Obama of
>> borderline hypocrisy for "using" the word even as he supposedly =3D
> condemns
>> racism.
>> =3D20
>> Another topic of growing controversy is whether the flags of seven =3D
> Southern
>> states should be replaced because of some historical connection or =3D
> visual
>> resemblance to one or another Confederate flag. (The Mississippi flag
>> actually includes the rebel flag in its canton.)
>> =3D20
>> JL
>> =3D20
>>> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 1:30 AM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> -----------------------
>>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>> Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
>>> Subject:      Re: n-word update
>>> =3D20
>>> =3D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------=
=3D
> -----
>>> =3D20
>>> "That old black magic / Has them in its spell," I reckon.
>>> =3D20
>>> =3D20
>>> =3D20
>>> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 5:12 PM, Jonathan Lighter =3D
> <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
>>> =3D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------=
=3D
> -----
=3D=

> hear
> prominent
=3D=

> of
> even
>>> the
>>> wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
>>> =3D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------=
=3D
> -----
>>> N-Word."
> President's
=3D=

> any
>>> "the
>>> they're

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=3D3Dhttp-3A__www.americandialec=
t.=3D

org&d=3D3DAwIBaQ&c=3D3D-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=3D3DwFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0Z=
pW1TsS=3D

xPIWYiZRsMFFaLQ&m=3D3DW1abXozX0ONeIpXwTsww9ve2OYBA5Z2zZi1kszctSTM&s=3D3DBf=
rtL3=3D
> i5tf45f3NFz0HTWM78Gj4OtbJLF2HwiwgeTMM&e=3D3D=3D20
>>> truth."

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=3D3Dhttp-3A__www.americandialec=
t.=3D

org&d=3D3DAwIBaQ&c=3D3D-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=3D3DwFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0Z=
pW1TsS=3D

xPIWYiZRsMFFaLQ&m=3D3DW1abXozX0ONeIpXwTsww9ve2OYBA5Z2zZi1kszctSTM&s=3D3DBf=
rtL3=3D
> i5tf45f3NFz0HTWM78Gj4OtbJLF2HwiwgeTMM&e=3D3D=3D20
>>> =3D20
>>> =3D20
>>> =3D20
>>> --
>>> -Wilson
>>> -----
>>> All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange complaint
=3D=

>>> come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
>>> -Mark Twain
>>> =3D20
>>> The American Dialect Society - =3D

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=3D3Dhttp-3A__www.americandialec=
t.=3D

org&d=3D3DAwIBaQ&c=3D3D-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=3D3DwFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0Z=
pW1TsS=3D

xPIWYiZRsMFFaLQ&m=3D3DW1abXozX0ONeIpXwTsww9ve2OYBA5Z2zZi1kszctSTM&s=3D3DBf=
rtL3=3D
> i5tf45f3NFz0HTWM78Gj4OtbJLF2HwiwgeTMM&e=3D3D=3D20
>>> =3D20
>> =3D20
>> =3D20
>> =3D20
>> --=3D20
>> "If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the =3D
> truth."
>> =3D20
>> The American Dialect Society - =3D

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=3D3Dhttp-3A__www.americandialec=
t.=3D

org&d=3D3DAwIBaQ&c=3D3D-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=3D3DwFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0Z=
pW1TsS=3D

xPIWYiZRsMFFaLQ&m=3D3DW1abXozX0ONeIpXwTsww9ve2OYBA5Z2zZi1kszctSTM&s=3D3DBf=
rtL3=3D
> i5tf45f3NFz0HTWM78Gj4OtbJLF2HwiwgeTMM&e=3D3D=3D20
>=20

---
Este email foi escaneado pelo Avast antivírus.